Thursday, 27 August 2015

EXPLORING EUROPE | THE NETHERLANDS


A little fact for you all, my big sister lives in The Netherlands, and has done so for a few years now. I'm clearly a bad little sis as until my trip, I hadn't made it over to visit even though it's literally like a 40 minute flight! That's less time than it takes to get to my hometown of Norwich! Anyway, as it's a place I've never been before, I obviously got photo happy and decided to share a few of these snaps with you. So, first up we visited the city of Utrecht...









Outfit: Pom Pom Detail Top: Zara, Necklace (one of set of three): Topshop (similar here), Blue Raw Hem Jeans: Topshop, Leopard Print Bag: Primark, Fringed Sandals: ASOS

Probably like most people, when I thought of The Netherlands the only town or city I could name was Amsterdam. So when my sister suggested visiting Utrecht, I had no idea what to expect! Turns out, it's a lovely city that I actually preferred to the capital! It's not only filled with the typical shops like H&M, Zara and Mango but also lovely independent ones, the best antique shops I've been to, gorgeous cafe's (including one of The Netherlands top voted cafe's - more on that in another blog post!) and last but not least the Miffy Museum! And what makes it even better is that just about everything in the centre is walkable to, so if you have even one day spare during a visit to the country, I'd definitely recommend you make the trip over to Utrecht!
Next came a short but sweet visit to my sisters home town of Nijmegen. I didn't take too many photos of this city but if you want to take a look, check out my Instagram page where I've been uploading photos of a few of the places we saw and things we ate including a traditional Dutch breakfast!
Right, on to Amsterdam! My mum and dad took a flight home a day earlier than me, leaving big sis and I to explore the city by ourselves. Whilst I'm sure it would have been hilarious to visit the Sex Museum and been inspiring to see the paintings of Van Gogh, we wanted to visit some of the less touristy areas and just have a good ol' walk about, throwing in a few canals for good measure, of course!...










Outfit: Sunglasses: Vans at ASOS, Striped Top: Monki, Circle Necklace: H&M (similar here)

Now, I did really like Amsterdam, but compared to all those who have raved about how amazing it is, I just thought it was... good! I loved loved loved spending time with my sister, but if I were to visit again I perhaps wouldn't put up as big a fuss about exploring the city as I did this time. It was absolutely boiling hot this day as well, so this combined with walking miles with a heavy rucksack wasn't all too fun! Saying this, I'll let you know my highlights... Firstly, Delft shops! As you'll see in an upcoming Interiors Post, I'm a big fan of collecting a whole load of blue and white nik naks from charity shops! So to walk in to a shop dedicated to the stuff was amazing! I especially loved the little kitty cat figures you can see in one of the photos above! Another big love were the buildings. Rows and rows of a monochrome Instagrammers dream! Haha! Oh what I would do to pick one of these up and plonk it down in central London and call it my own! And lastly, the CUTE little shops we went in! I'm a very bad blogger for not taking photos of these, but do take a trip slightly out of the central touristy area to Gerard Doustraat! You'll find some of the prettiest shops in town including Anna + Nina, Felice and All the Luck in the World. Filled with ditsy jewellery, rose gold interior pieces and upcoming fashion brands, you'll be really glad you take the walk (or bike ride) out there!
Until next time, please do let me know of any places you know (cafe's, shops and scenic surroundings included!) to visit around The Netherlands! And keep a look out for a round up post of all the place's we ate at while we were there, coming in the next few days hopefully!

Follow Rose and Weston on Bloglovin' | Instagram | Twitter | Pintrest x

6 comments:

  1. I love Amsterdam but I went with a group of buddies and we did much day drinking between sights….and we did adventure down to the red light district which is something else.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it's a good party city! haha x

      Delete
  2. I've never been to The Netherlands but its a place I really want to visit some day. The buildings look so beautiful x I can't believe the plane ride is so short, I always thought it was a lot longer :)

    Caitriona | Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was so quick! I'd definitely love to go back for longer next time xx

      Delete
  3. What beautiful photography - this all looks incredible! I really wish I could travel to the Netherlands. xx, adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you :)... although I never think it is haha *santa please bring me a new camera!* x

      Delete